Sunday, January 18, 2009

Con Report: Sac-Anime Winter 2009

First off, this Sac-Anime (the Winter edition) felt a lot different than the past Sac-Anime. It's been a year since the dreadful '08 show when things weren't going right for me on staff. The '08 show was the last time I ever staffed, and until I make accords with the staff members I won't return.

I did apply for a press badge; but unlike the Summer show, I was denied. According to the staff my blog did not have enough readership (compared to sites like Coscom,, etc.) to warrent a press badge. At first, I was confused, then I realized it was good decision as long as the staff there was consistent in their decision-making. I didn't see anyone with less credibility with a press badge that weekend, so everything was fine. Besides, I'm still able to report and blog.

Now, onto the con itself.

Friday was very interesting. For one, I was dealing with some issues; one is personal (which I won't mention here, but if you find me maybe I'll tell you) and then my car died when I parked it on the return trip to the con from the hotel. The alternator went bad and the car had to be towed back to my house. Luckly the car was fixed and I was able to get it back for Saturday and Sunday.
Like most Winter show Fridays, it's slow. Most of the grade-school attendees are still in school, so most of us are in the college crowd. I was able to hang around with the Console Gaming staff, and played some Rock Band 2. I also got to see Vic, Travis and Laura in the 1st autograph session. Vic signed the 4th FMA boxset and the rest signed my badge. I also looked around the Dealers Room, but I decided to wait until later. I decide to go home early because for some odd reason they kicked everyone out early after the concerts were over.

Saturday went much smoother than Friday. For one, it was jam packed with attendees, with plenty of cosplayers. I spent my morning back in the Console Gaming room, ripping off 6 straight games on Halo 3 4 vs. 4. I was even shocked, given that I'm not much of a Halo player myself (because I play on the PS3 than the 360).
Then my friend from the Bay Area arrives, and we decide to go find the photographer and get some pictures of my State Military uniform with my weapon loadout. From what I've seen, they came out pretty nice. After that, I decide to jump in line for the 1st of 2 FMA Panel sessions with Vic, Travis and Laura. I heard that before this, Vic and Travis were playing football out on the grass field out on the convention grounds. If I had seen them playing football I would of joined them. Anyways, it was all fun and games, great moments all around. Following that panel was the 2nd autograph session; I got Vic to sign my Ouran High School Host Club boxset (if I had bought the 2nd boxset I would gotten Travis to sign it) and everyone else signed my business card. I also did some networking with them, so if any of you are reading this leave a message! Between all of this I was with Console Gaming playing more Rock Band 2 and some Beatmania among other games.
At this point, I am pretty hungry. So about 5PM I take off with me and my friend to Boston Market. I wasn't really on planning to attend the Masquerade given the limited capacity; really, I am not getting cramped in that small amount of space just to watch a bunch of skits. We actually do get back before 6PM, the start of the Masquerade. There's still a line to get in, meaning we knew we weren't getting in. So what do I do? Go back to Console Gaming! I was able to catch the DDR Tourament (explain to me how both players can have the same exact step stats yet have different scores?) and the Halo 3 2 vs. 2 tourament. Both were good right to the very end, and props to the winner; he's been dominating both the 2 vs. 2 and 1 vs. 1 Halo 3 tournaments for the past two cons. Rumor has it that he'll be staffing for the Halo 3 tourament at the Summer show; I told him that winner plays him/his team for bonuses.
I'm also in and out in the small concrete courtyard watching the Masquerade. Eventually, it ends and they prepare for the Satuday Rave. I was able to get in early and I stayed for a bit before letting other people have the opportunity to rave (because I'm a nice guy). I also take part in Cosplay Poker, with a change - I actually make it to the Sunday Final Table. That runs up right to the end of the con, so I decide to head back to prepare for Sunday.

Sunday, like Friday, is slow but in terms of amount of stuff to do. Yeah, there's the Fashion Show and more panels, but less things to do on Sunday. With only one boxset left to sign, I stand in line for about 2 hours to get a last chance for autographs. I do succeed in Vic signing the FMA boxset, and now I have all four boxsets signed by him.
I pace the Dealers Room for anything appealing, but the only thing I walk out with is a Chibi Badge - I have 4 now, and it'll be 5 come Fanime 2009.
Again, I spend most of my time hanging out with Console Gaming and talking to people that I know and don't know like most of the weekend.
Right at the end they tried to hold the Final Table, but we got prizes for making the Final Table instead, which is cool enough for me.
Either than that, I just hung out, took pictures, and complained how bad my NFL playoff picks - lost 3 of 4 picks - were.
I left early to go treat my friend to dinner at a local Mongolian BBQ off of Howe, then back to the hotel to relax.

That's about it for the Con Report for Sac-Anime Winter 2009. In terms of Sac-Anime, I can't wait to see you all again in August. In terms of Sac-Con, I hope to make the March show. Either than that, it's off to FanimeCon in May!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.